Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Designer Babies

I first heard about this for about five minutes when I was in my car today listening to Rush (yea, yea, get over it). Before I go any further, let me lay out a few things: I am a pro choice conservative when it comes to early term pregnancy (I know many disagree, passionately, but I don't argue it, it's how I feel); I am against partial birth abortion and late term abortion in general.

But this, like embryonic stem cell research, brings a new ethical dynamic to the issue: Is a human life that suffers from disease or defect worth less than one that does not suffer any debilitating afflictions?

I think I am qualified to speak on this since my daughter was born with a non-fatal, but disfiguring birth defect, a cleft lip and palate. She went through two major and painful surgeries before she was 14 months old, had another when she was 16 and still yet must have another. She has a pathological fear of needles because of what she went through over the years, suffered through so many ear infections she has significant hearing loss and will never be scar free, something not insignificant for an otherwise normal blond haired, blue eyed 19 year old.

Like the lady in the article, I held her in my arms while she cried from pain, physical at first, sometimes emotional later. I help hold her down when IV's were inserted and injections given and held her in my arms post surgery when a child who could not yet speak with her mouth spoke pain and suffering with her eyes, though too weak to cry.

I spent countless hours teaching her about the importance of walking with dignity when sometimes cruel children would point out scars, a nose that was not normal, slightly off enunciation and the like. She went through countless rounds of tubes being placed in her ears to cope with the endless ear infections that come with the condition. She had to wait until 16 to have a significantly deviated septum repaired. I know about a child suffering physically and emotionally because of not being born absolutely pink and perfect; and I would do it all over again.

Should Steven Hawkings' mother have terminated her pregnancy based on the fact he would end up with ALS? Should we euthanize children brain damaged in car accidents? I know some will say I am talking out both sides of my mouth on this, being pro choice. So be it. This is about what value do we place on the weak or imperfect. It makes me wish I could believe in absolutes so I could sleep a little better at night when such matters come to mind.

No comments: